Personal Injury

If you or a loved one has been injured in any type of accident, your life can be thrown into turmoil that can take weeks, months and sometimes years to overcome. At Norman M. Block, P.C., our goal is to obtain the greatest amount of compensation in the least amount of time for your medical expenses, lost wages, and other losses, including pain and suffering due to whiplash, permanent disability or disfigurement. When these accidents turn fatal, we represent survivors in wrongful death lawsuits.

We represent your best interest in personal injury cases on a contingency-fee basis- you do not owe attorney's fees unless we recover compensation for you. We will negotiate the best possible settlement with your insurance company or take the matter to court if necessary. Contact us today for a FREE initial consultation about your personal injury case. If necessary, we can meet you in your home or at the hospital.

Frequently Asked Questions

Based in Pleasantville, New York, Attorney Norman Block confidently serves clients throughout the greater New York City area. He has successfully represented hundreds of victims in all types of injury cases, including:

Medical Malpractice - When you, or a family member have been injured due to the negligence of a health care professional, you may be eligible for financial compensation for your injuries, as well as damages for any lasting effects. We are available to assist clients with medical malpractice claims for a wide range of issues including diagnosis or treatment errors, surgical mistakes and birth injuries, and general negligence.

Return to Top

Construction Accidents - We represent workers injured at construction sites, or a bystander who is injured by something such as flying debris, falling objects or negligent vehicle operators. Construction workers are entitled to special protection under New York laws, and may be entitled to damages from property owners, general contractors and other third parties. Our goal is to help you obtain the maximum possible recovery for your injuries.

Return to Top

Automobile or Truck Accidents - Whether you are the driver, passenger, or a pedestrian, we will help you obtain the maximum possible recovery for your injuries. Even if you are partially at fault for the accident, you may be entitled to recover damages for your injuries. The injury need not be a severe injury, but must satisfy the requirements of New York's No-Fault Insurance Laws. Even an injury that may not seem that serious can qualify as a serious injury and entitle you to compensation. Even if the person who caused the accident does not have insurance, or has a very small insurance policy, you may be entitled to reach the Uninsured and Underinsured Motorist Coverage under your own insurance policy or rely on a New York State program called the Motor Vehicle Accident Indemnification Law.

Your medical care and lost wages are covered by the insurance company that insures the vehicle in which you are riding, regardless of who is at fault for the accident, and without having to go to court. This is called No-Fault Insurance. If you are a pedestrian, you will be covered by the insurance company that hit you, even if you were negligent by darting out into traffic or crossing in the middle of a street without looking. Contact us to discuss your case.

Return to Top

Motorcycle Accidents - If you are the driver or a passenger on a motorcycle, Norman M. Block, P.C. will represent you and help you find the maximum, fair compensation for your injuries. Unlike automobile or truck accidents, you may not be able to have your medical care and lost income paid without going to court. Since no-fault insurance isn't required for motorcycles, riders are specifically excluded under New York's No Fault laws. However, unlike in other auto accidents, you may be entitled to collect damages even if your injury is minor.

Return to Top

School and Playground Accidents - If your child is injured on the playground or at school as a result of careless supervision or because of construction flaws, our firm will represent your child and help you obtain the maximum possible recovery for their injuries. Playgrounds can be very dangerous. There are rules that govern how a playground is constructed, what types of materials are used, how the equipment is constructed, and the type of ground cover or flooring which is necessary to prevent injury to children. School facilities should also be safe; mats should be used to protect against slippery floors on wet days, gyms should have the proper padding to prevent injuries when children are engaged in physical activities, school walkways should be properly maintained.

Sport injuries are in different category. A child who engages in sports may be considered to have assumed the risk of an injury unless the sport has been made unreasonably dangerous because improper equipment is provided, there are holes in the surface on which the sport is played, dangerous objects are present on the sport field that cause injuries, or a teacher or coach is overly aggressive in participating in and/or coaching the sport. While there can be compensation for many sport injuries, Norman M. Block, P.C. is well prepared to examine the circumstances of the injury and determine if compensation is possible.

Return to Top

Accidents from Falling - Whether you have slipped on a wet surface (slip and fall) or tripped on an uneven surface (trip and fall), Norman M. Block, P.C., will represent you and help you pursue the maximum recovery possible for your injuries. You can only recover if someone is negligent. In these situations, negligence means that the property owner, store, city or town caused the he defective condition, knew about it and did nothing, or should have known because the condition existed for a significant period of time and should have been observed by the owner, agents or employees. Unless we can show negligence, you may not be able to recover compensation for your injuries.

You can also recover money if there was a recurring condition for which the property owner did not take precautions to protect the public. For example, on a rainy day, the store may be required to put non-slip matting at the entrance. All situations are different. At our Westchester County law firm, we will help you determine whether you are likely to be able to recover any money in your specific situation. Call us to discuss your case.

Return to Top

Falls on Streets and Sidewalks - because of special considerations given to city, county or state governments, falls on streets and sidewalks require quick action and special analysis. At the law offices of Norman M. Block, P.C., we are prepared to move quickly to protect your rights and to determine whether you will be able to recover any money for your injuries.

In most instances, governments must have prior written notice of any defective condition before cities, towns, counties, or the state can be held liable for injury. Even if there is actual knowledge of the defective condition, there must be prior written notice and, without it, you cannot recover for your injuries. Also, if the city, town, county or state caused the defect, had repaired it but did a poor job, it may be liable even without prior written notice.

Any claim against a governmental body must be made within ninety (90) days of the date of the injury, or you cannot sue for that injury. After ninety days, but before one year and ninety days after the accident (longer for children), you may make a motion to the court to be allowed to send a notice of claim after ninety days. If there is a good reason why the ninety day deadline was missed, courts will often allow the late notice of claim.

Depending upon where the accident happened, the owner of the property which is next to the sidewalk can be liable for your injuries. Many cities, including the City of New York in all boroughs, make the adjoining property owner liable for any injuries that occur due to defects in the sidewalk. We will research the law where the accident occurred and determine if the property owner can be held liable. In those cases, the property insurance will provide compensation if the homeowner was negligent.

Return to Top

Falls on Snow and Ice - If you are injured due to a fall on snow or ice, we will represent your interests and help you obtain the maximum compensation possible for any injuries. A property owner is liable for injuries that occur when a person slips on snow or ice that was not removed in a reasonable period of time, where the owner attempted to clear the snow or ice but was negligent in doing so, or where there is some condition on the property causing the accumulation of ice at a certain spot; such as a leaking gutter or down-spout. Whether the property owner is liable depends upon a number of factors, such as the time of day, the purpose for which the property is used, the amount of snowfall, or when the snow ended. At Norman M. Block, P.C., we will review the circumstances of your accident to determine the liability in your specific situation.

Return to Top

For further information or assistance in any of these areas of personal injury, contact the law office of Norman M. Block, P.C. We offer FREE initial consultations and there are no attorney fees unless we collect.