How Long Do I Have to Bring a Case?
There are many “statutes of limitations” which govern how much time you have to bring your case. In general, for most accidents, that is three years from the date of the accident. However, there are many factors which can shorten or lengthen that amount of time, including:
- If the injured party is under age 18 or is incompetent
- If the responsible party is a government or government agency
- If the responsible party is a doctor, dentist, chiropractor, nurse, hospital, nursing home or other medical provider
- If there is a contract, such as with a cruise ship, that shortens the statute of limitations
- If the accident occurred in another state or foreign country
- If the person injured died as a result of the accident
The above is just a sample, and shows why contacting a lawyer as soon as possible after the accident is extremely important. At Norman M. Block, P.C., we will assess your situation and advise you of the appropriate time frame.